G(re)ateways 2015

June 24th, 2015 embrea17

Hello Friends!

This was my second summer working with Gateways Orientation. This time around, I had the really great (get it…Greatways…it was great) opportunity to be on Gateways Orientation Central Staff, or, GOCS, as the student coordinator for the student orientation program.  I couldn’t have asked for a more ideal position. I still was able to do what I love, be an orientation leader, but I also was involved with team selection (interviewing and selecting orientation leaders) and enjoyed more responsibility during the program. Of course, I was also intimidated.

How could I so quickly transition from the Guatemala Immersion to Gateways mode? (I flew in at 3AM and started work at 12PM…oops)

How would I perform with more responsibility (and less sleep)?

On a team with so many new orientation leaders, what would it be like to be considered one of the “returners”? How could I be nearly as helpful or fabulous as the returners who helped me last year?

How could Gateways 2015 be nearly as awesome as Gateways 2014?

And yet, despite my worries, I was still very, very excited because I knew a few things for sure: First, as always, I have a wonderful family at Holy Cross that cares about me and believes in me. Second, the orientation leader team was diverse, fun, hilarious, thoughtful, and engaging. Third, I love orientation.

So no need to hold your breath–Gateways 2015 was wonderful. And let me tell you, the members of the class of 2019 that I met are definitely bringing a whole collection of fascinating stories and experiences to Holy Cross. Although I won’t get to see them much in their first year as I spend my junior year off campus, I anticipate what interesting work will be done, what worthwhile new projects/programs will arise, what foundations will be established for the legacies these students will eventually leave. Certainly, when I return for my senior year (ahhhhhhhhh), Holy Cross will not be what it was when I left.

And no–Gateways 2015 was not very much at all like Gateways 2014. But, somehow, they both were thoroughly important, incredible, and overwhelmingly fun experiences.

Many, many, many thanks to faculty, staff, incoming students(!!!), fellow GOCS, and of course, my beloved Orientation Leaders, for making this month of June oh-so special.

DFTBA

20091_913864972007222_4950103901723927409_n

Classic orientation circle with my A+ orientation partner, Mike(y) McCaffrey.

Emily Breakell '17