Summer Lovin’

August 7th, 2014 embrea17

You might be wondering, what does the average Holy Cross student do during their summer in between first and second year?

I don’t really know, because my summer has been almost as strange as I am.

BUT it has also been great!

This blog is coming at you in the four parts of my summer (plus a little extra):

ONE: AWKWARD PERIOD OF TIME BEFORE SUMMER GATEWAYS.

As you may or may not know I had the privilege of being an Orientation Leader for Summer Gateways. But, there was a small chunk of time before Gateways started. I filled that mostly with reading books like Leaving the Atocha Station and The Stranger, eating plenty of homemade food, running slowly and poorly, and helping my mom with her business/house chores. I also worked when possible, but there’s nothing particularly interesting about that.

TWO: SUMMER GATEWAYS.

Gateways was definitely the highlight of my summer. It was truly a pleasure to get to know so many incoming first year students, and to spend (a lot of) time with Professional Staff and other orientation leaders prepping for their arrival. I had an awesome partner to work with and we had three super cool groups for all three sessions. The class of 2018 seems like a really great group.

THREE: ROAD TRIP.

I traveled from Connecticut to central Florida with one of my best friends from home. It was a really formative experience, pretty Kerouac-ian in nature, but we also clung to the ridiculousness of our friendship. Example: We made a legitimate flag that we would fly out the car window on occasion.

FOUR: FARM LIFE.

Now comes perhaps the most strange part of my summer vacation, working on a farm about a half hour away. This is my first summer on this particular farm, there are many around my area, and I have done everything from weeding plants taller than me, to chasing chickens around, to putting a makeshift cast on a guinea hen’s leg. Additionally, I have developed an impressive farmer’s tan.

And now, for fun, here are some of my favorites of the summer (I feel like Oprah):

Favorite Commencement Speech: OBVIOUSLY Jon Favreau, but I think Charlie Day’s at Merrimack was hilarious.

Favorite Movie: X-Men Days of Future Past (I also liked The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes & The Fault in Our Stars. I have varied tastes.)

Favorite Book (that I’ve read this summer, it was released a while ago): Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Favorite Song (released this summer): Photograph by Ed Sheeran, it’s beautiful (the whole album is, go check it out)

Favorite Overpriced Iced Tea from Starbucks: Unsweetened Black Tea Lemonade GO GET IT

Favorite Job I’ve Been Given on the Farm: Picking raspberries aka eating many raspberries

Favorite New Poster for the Dorm: A portrait of Jeanette Rankin, the first congresswoman.

Favorite (Vinyl) Record Bought: $1 Robert Plant from Goodwill. Nat King Cole coming in as a close second.

Stay Cool and DFTBA

Emily Breakell '17