Billy Joel, Shoveling Champions, and Holden Caulfield

February 10th, 2014 embrea17

Hello Friends!

It’s been a while. How are the wife and kids?

First I want to fill you in on a couple of developments that are more personal:

First, my Spring Break Immersion location is (drumroll please) …….Wheeling, West Virginia! Although I still don’t know what I’ll be doing there, I’m so happy to know where I’ll be going. True, all I know about Wheeling, West Virginia is that Billy Joel sets the scene with it in “The Ballad of Billy the Kid,” but hey, I’m sure it’s a fabulous place. Second, this semester I have a Community Based Learning class which means that I have the opportunity to use what I learn in class in a setting off campus. I’ll be working with Centro Las Americas’ Latino Elder Program to socialize with the elders and help them with English and computer skills. Finally, I am in the interview process to be an Orientation Leader and Resident Assistant next year. Because so many Holy Cross students are heavily involved in campus life, these are competitive positions, but I’m excited just about the process itself!

And now a few more general things:

IT IS SO SNOWY GUYS. I actually don’t mind winter especially when snow is involved, and HoCro is gorgeous. The campus maintenance crew also rocks, and despite our abundance of stairs, navigating hasn’t become any more difficult. MAJOR props to all of those shoveling champions! I took a quick picture of Fenwick quad which you can (kind of sort of) compare to the one in my post from the fall! Some events that have taken place so far are the Interfaith Prayer, in which I had the opportunity to participate (through Interfaith Council), the BSU Fashion Show, which I tragically could not attend but heard AMAZING things about, and the recent HC vs. Bucknell basketball game in which my acapella group sang the National Anthem and Holy Cross rocked at both throwing a sphere into a circle and preventing the other team from doing so. I’m not an athlete at all but I find college basketball massively impressive and entertaining. Oh! And the Super Bowl happened but frankly I don’t watch much football and that didn’t encourage me to watch anymore. I wasn’t on campus for that event, but I heard Kimball served up pretty great classics for the event (wings, nachos, etc.)

Please forgive me for the scattered nature of this post, looking back on it, it’s reminiscent of a more optimistic and less articulate Holden Caulfield stream-of-consciousness. Oops.

Regardless–Happy Valentine’s Day and DFTBA!photo

Emily Breakell '17