Agape Latte!

February 1st, 2015 embrea17

Hey Friends!

Since the start of the school year, I’ve been working hard on an event that I mentioned in a previous post: Agape Latte.

It is basically a super cool program that started at Boston College and has since spread to several other colleges and universities throughout the US. Some members of Student Government learned about the event at the National Jesuit Leadership Conference and asked me to take charge of it, as my position on cabinet is Spirituality and Social Justice.

By working with a really great administrator in the Office of Student Involvement, Dan Kagdis, as well as other individuals from a variety of offices and organizations, Agape Latte is taking place this Wednesday, February 4th. It is truly an awesome experience to see a program move from tiny beginning stages to something real, something cool, and hopefully something meaningful. This year in particular I have felt empowered to do positive work for the Holy Cross community by administrators and faculty. Although many students at other schools can collaborate with administrators and faculty on programs, events, projects, etc., Holy Cross works very hard to make sure students feel equipped to do work independently. Indeed, in my experience, offices and administrators here support students rather than direct them.

If you will be on campus, I highly encourage you to come to Agape Latte. Professor Stephanie Yuhl, highly regarded in the history department and the director of Montserrat, will be our first speaker. Students will have the opportunity to hear a 20-30 minute talk on some of her life experiences, as well as ask questions and enjoy coffee, desserts, and music! I am extremely excited to have a program that could possibly reinforce faculty/staff and student relations, because having worked with several awesome employees of the college, I think it is absolutely imperative to understand the great work and fascinating stories of individuals who dedicate much of their life to the project of undergraduate education.

DFTBA

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 8.54.03 PM

Emily Breakell '17