Lacking Sleep, Not Excitement

October 29th, 2014 embrea17

Hey Friends!

It’s been a while. My sophomore year is hectic and a half in the best way possible!

People warned me about all of the applications associated with this year, but I really didn’t anticipate just how much it might be on top of my other commitments. The Summer Internship Program, the College Honors Program, Study Abroad, The Non-Profit Careers Conference, The DC Semester, and even meeting Neil DeGrassse Tyson when he comes to campus!

Although overwhelming, all of these opportunities are obviously really exciting. It has been difficult trying to live in the present when so many endeavors are so future-minded, but, I must say that this semester is going super well.

My position as an RA in Mulledy is phenomenal, I consider myself so lucky to work with such a wonderful group of girls and have the opportunity to build skills in a supportive community. Recently, we celebrated Diwali as a hallway by enjoying Indian treats, doing henna, listening to bollywood music, and making lanterns. Throughout the year, RAs are expected to organize eight different programs for their hall, but based on how the past few of mine have gone, I anticipate exceeding that number because it feels more like hanging out and enjoying unique experiences with awesome people than it feels like work. I am so grateful that this can be my work at Holy Cross.

Beyond that, other co-curricular activities are going really well too! Working in the Political Science Department, SGA, acapella, and Community Based Learning have diversified my semester and made it partly crazy, partly challenging, and partly great (scratch that, entirely great).

But perhaps the most formative elements of my semester come from academics. My happy combination of two classes in Political Science, one in Spanish, and one in Liberation Theology have shed light on some of the most pressing social justice issues of our time, which has lead me to consider studying abroad in Latin America and studying in DC next year.

So, although I’m entirely overwhelmed and under-rested, I’m filled to the brim with joy and excitement for what is ahead.

DFTBA

One Response to “Lacking Sleep, Not Excitement”

1. Well, it is not uncommon to be overwhelmed and to lack sleep, but all in all this is what university years are all about. A lot of initiatives, classes, extracurricular activities and so on. I know sometimes it can get too exhausting and you will feel like Friday is never coming or when it comes, there will be new things to do during the weekend. Hopefully you will finish your sophomore year just like you started it. Good luck 🙂

Emily Breakell '17